Thursday, August 20, 2009

At my age, you are done growing up, you are just growing old

8/21/09: Been checking lots of comics out from the library lately. Persepolis 2 is exactly the same as the first. The Japanese are the best at everything but cultural stuff really gets in the way of me understanding the undertones that must exist concerning certain things, especially the insistence on 12 year old girl protagonists and the complete impotence of all parents (get it? impotence in the very people that by definition aren't. get it? get it?). I was disappointed by Sin City. I hadn't read it when the movie came out, because Rob told me that it was panel by panel, word for word (he was right). I actually liked the movie quite a bit. Im a softee for that kind of period worship, especially a period I like the cultural artifacts of (see my affection for American muscle cars, cowboy shirts, rockabilly) Its kind of like how you remember things in a more favorable light than it really was or how you like the music you liked in high school for life. Anyway, its funny that I just like things less as I get older, especially media, art, music, etc. Its the same exact story, but on the page it has been falling flat. All the female characters are EXACTLY the same, big breasted "dames", tormented by the way their beauty alienates them, blah, blah, blah. If you get a stereotype dead on the first time, Frank, you don't need to keep harping on it. Irregardless of my personal struggle to like things, Ive been at least appreciating the idea of a comic book, of how an author can make a narrative and get everything perfect in a way no director ever could. I guess that's why comics always seem so contrived, they are absent the serendipity that comes automatically with other art forms.

I got stood up tonight. By a girl that has stood me up before. A girl who kissed me last night (since when does somebody kiss me before i try to kiss them? what gives?) and made lots of plans. I don't know how to feel about it. Obviously someone as flaky and up and down as I am isn't going to be a good match for me. At the same time new things have been rarer and rarer as I get worse and worse at making my life move. Move life, MOVE!

The raddest fucking thing ever that we forget because we get distracted section: Suns/stars aren't special. No. Really. They aren't made up of different stuff than planets, comets, moon, etc. The reason they explode with the potential energy that hides in matter is simple gravity. The have so much mass that their own gravity causes enough pressure to start a nuclear reaction!!! The fuel that burns is just stuff. rocks. whatever. If the earth was a million times it size it would be a fireball. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. "irregardless" is not a word. it's a fake word in a lot of movies. teen movies, the kind i like and you bet sue on. it's just 'regardless'.
    also, "archipelago" has been in a lot of my readings/vocab tests and i always think about quizzo and how i will know it next time rob asks that question and you will be proud of me. [and by proud of me, i mean, not mad at me]

    ReplyDelete
  2. irregardless - 3 dictionary results

    ir⋅re⋅gard⋅less  /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis] –adverb Nonstandard. regardless.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Origin:
    1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless


    Usage note:
    Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

    ReplyDelete