Monday, May 4, 2009

Movies and Market Zen

5/4/09: It so strange to me how different the life experiences of my brother and I are considering how much of our lives we have spent under the same roof. He ran out of movies to download so he looking on top 100 movies of all time lists and getting those (which I am pretty happy about, I will write a post soon about how the market approximates an objective evaluation of art) and yesterday he was downloading a movie and said, "Man, this movie looks so awesome." I guess you can see the movie in fast forward or whatever in a small screen as it loads or whatever. So I ask him what he is stealing, and he says, "uh, what's it called?, uh, Blade Runner." Then we talked about how handsome Harrison Ford was back in the day, or maybe mostly I did, but he was polite enough not to give me any shit about what I am sure he thought was pretty gay.

Some fast movie reviews:
Mad Dog and Glory: No one has seen this M. Scorsese blank even though it has a hundred movie stars that we all like such as DeNiro, B. Murray, Uma, etc. It is a vanilla movie with great acting, which I like better than the reverse.

The Ten: This movie could have been soooo much better. Its right up my alley sense of humor wise, but it was just a little too silly to become a classic. But I like movies with no point, I like movies with Ms. Ryder, and I like movies that are irreverent. Paul Rudd didn't even ruin it but I really do dislike him. Also, I don't know who casted the movie, but they have excellent taste in women. Girl from Rounders? Famke with the legs and legs and legs? Not even allowed to like her because every other boy thinks she is the bees knees Alba? Winny? Check, check, check and checkmate.

Choke: The "fight club twist" in this movie is so bad. Its also not the kind of movie that needs a twist, it isn't as if there is any built up tension to release or questions the audience cares about. I am the target audience for this kind of movie (probably right? slacker who doesn't give a fuck about the rules, with lots of sex scenes, and self hatred mixed in, plus a critique of medicine and therapy) and I am telling you to not waste your time.

Josh B is moving out to germantown or mt. airy or somewhere. I asked him why all the way out there and he told me that he went on the Internet, typed in a price and the word "deck" and that that was the closest residence available. I didn't realize it at the time, but this is a very sophisticated and I guess "zen" strategy for being happy in life. Just let the market sweep you where it will. It is so simple and free of moral judgements or disappointment. This is what I want, these are the resources I have, this is what is out there. 1,2,3. It also frees you from ever being "stuck" because there is always an equilibrium to rebalance, a new place where the things would be more efficient, a new job or house or friend living somewhere new. Part of being stuck is our tendency to hold on to things, to become attached. And then right out from under us, those things change because nothing is permanent and then we get an uneasy feeling. But if we never held on in the first place, we would only ever experience fresh, perfect, fleeting, moments of things.

3 comments:

  1. I read that book, "Choke". Every once in a while I think maybe I'll like Chuck Paliunhuk (I'm not going to bother to actually look it up), but everytime I hate it/him.


    nonfi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he's so nineties (in a bad way).

    H8 people that are always trying to blow my mind. After one or two times, you see it coming from a mile away. Thanks, CP and M. Night.

    ANADITAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommended "Blade Runner" to Jay. It was sort of like a blog moment, except IRL and about movies not music. And there was PIZZA.
    Even though I don't watch movies much, maybe I'm still trustworthy: I did use to work at a movie store, after all.
    It was called VIDEO 2000, which made sense in the '90s, when everybody was trying to blow minds.

    ReplyDelete