Friday, November 13, 2009

Clean Face

11/13/09: If you ever need to shave in Rome, here's how you do it. You find one of those shady stores owned by a Vietnamese couple where the lady does all the work and the dude just sits in one of those chairs that really shouldn't be able to hold him up (apparently they are everywhere). You know the ones, with the really tall shelves, and there really isn't any reason for the stuff they are selling. Its just kinda a store. Fans and watches in the front, maybe some candy, a broom, cigarettes. Well, if you go all the way into the back room, where they sell bug spray and rugs that look like those saddle blankets you put on a burro and that they try to sell you while you wait in line at the Mexico border, that's where you can buy a razor.

Went to go see American art today, Alexander Calder. I learned that "mobile" was started as a joke, because in french it means both motive and movement. I also figured out that he started making things out of wire because he can't draw or sculpt worth a darn. I get alot of guff about saying that I hate art, but I think all i mean some times is I wish it didn't take itself so seriously. Today the guard got mad at me blowing on a mobile, as if i had BigBadWolf breath and I could knock the thing down. I guess its the same with everything really: politics, music, sports, whatever.

1 comment:

  1. When you get back, there is a comedy in theaters right now called "(untitled)" that makes fun of the art world. You will probably like it. (Although I haven't seen it, so I don't really know who would like it.)

    ReplyDelete