Friday, January 29, 2010

I wonder if eventually I will even be bored in my dreams

1/29/10: Sometimes I have dreams, the themes of which (kind of), are me being super good at things and productive. Its odd to wake up as a very un-industrious person. Two good examples of such a dream:

1) I dreamt recently that I was in some kind of design class (some times I wish I went to art school, not because I want to be an artist, but just because from what people tell me it sounds like its the kind of place, like Deep Springs, where people expect something from you, and if you don't make anything out of yourself, people actually call you out on it) and we were given the project to create a font. This is the kind of thing I imagine people do in design school, btw. Anyway, I was really proud of the font I made. In my dream. It was based on the divine proportion (also called the golden ratio), which is an awesome thing that you should look up if you don't know about it. The Greeks were obsessed with it, and for good reason kinda. Almost everything in nature is based on it, from the way a tree branch grows, or the Fibonacci sequence involved in the shape of seashells and the composition sunflowers up to the cosmic level of the ratio of suns to galaxies. When I woke, I later searched for people who had come up with the same idea, and sure enough they had but was glad to find out that my font was way better, mostly because it actually more strictly followed the rule: "all intersections of lines must follow the divine proportion".

2. In my dream I worked for NASA, of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory or some such place. My job was to graphically represent the trajectory of a missile based on data from different radar stations that recorded distance as the missile passed in and out of their range. My elegant solution was to introduce degrees of certainty based on the square of the distance between the missile and the radar stations involved. That way, the radar stations can check each other, but with preference to the data from the station closest to the missile. It was actually a very beautiful dream, in which the equation came to life and it involved lots of flying around through landscapes with lines shooting every which way, and X,Y,Z, and T numbers rising and falling out of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment