Friday, January 1, 2010

Float on?

1/1/10: Just watched "Up". No general comments, but a specific scene got me thinking. Over time the balloons holding the old guy's house up start to lose their potency until eventually the weight of the house overtakes their buoyancy and he is landlocked. But trouble ensues and he needs to fly again, and he realizes that all he has to do is start throwing shit out, the heavier the better, and he can lighten his load and go again. This is a pretty powerful lesson about getting older. Sure, you can go jogging every morning and build up your endurance, but if you need to get faster quickly, your best bet is just taking shit out of your backpack (I could make an "up in the air" tie-in here but it would just get convoluted). "hold on tightly, let go lightly"

When I'm feeling really crushed/contrite/deflated my first first reaction is that something must be missing: a career, a girl, a project, whatever. But maybe instead I need to get rid of even more things. That's how this blog got started in the first place. The power of the cleanse is that while it takes time to accumulate things/baggage/habits it takes no time at to just throw a fucking couch out your window so you can fly again.

Now the question is "which things need to go?". And am i ready to admit that maybe its: a) the illusion that life is about working as little as possible and going out every weeknight, i.e. party lifestyle, b) the fantasy that I can just float by on playing magic and hustling and never settle down and into something c) Philadelphia, d) polywhatever, e) the obviously false idea I have about that girl that I still like or more accurately think I like.


1 comment:

  1. After you told me to read this (remember doing that?) I was going to make some really good comments about polytheism.


    CHEDDINX

    ReplyDelete