Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The game we (I) play

4/28/09: Magic can be a frustrating game. Sometimes it feels like you are stuck playing chess, but you have to be black all day long, always behind on turns, answering your opponent, never really getting to play. But unlike chess, you never get that dominating feeling when you are ahead. Until the game is actually over, it is almost impossible to truly be in more that just a "winning position", there is always a combination of cards that beats you, cards that you don't know about. Its the most depressing kind of hermeneutic adjustment, you have to struggle just be in a position to settle, always fighting against a universe of possibilities, like Sisyphus's game in Z dimensions.

Magic is also about value. You have to play the best cards. Its like hanging out with rich people all the time. You'd rather spend time with people that are more interesting, but they can't help you in the ways you need. Speaking of this, I used to hang out with lots of rich people, back when I felt like my life could go places. Lawyers, academics, finance people. Hanging out with old Temple friends this weekend reminded me that not all young people are stuck and happy, revelers and jokers. Do I really care about big things? Probably not. Do I think about it alot? Certainly yes.

Reading a book. "101 Damnations: The Humorists' Tour of Personal Hells." Don't bother with this one. I am the kind of person who likes to dwell in dark places. I want to hear about terrible terrible things. This book is just about missing the bus, splitting the check, and being bald. Maybe its sicks that I wanted to hear about losing a child, being in a coma, and realizing you are getting Alzheimer's, but I find the stupid petty stuff boring even though in real life I am a whiner. One gem though: I learned that T. S. Elliot said that, "April is the cruelest month." I think he was talking about taxes and rain and shit, but it makes sense to me regardless.

4 comments:

  1. 1. I'm telling everyone you said you know what it's like to "be black all day long."

    2. I'm sorry Magic is rough. Sometimes I wish we hadn't made fun of you for it so hard for so long, because I've seen it, and I know I could never have the patience/willpower/endurance. Keep it up, you're good at it. But...maybe you could get into it a little more for our sake? I'm thinking costumes? LARPing???

    3. a) Your life can still "go places"; in fact, it's going someplace right now, which probably scares you because you don't feel like you're in control over it. But, blah blah blah, no one ever really is, etc. We love you. b)Careful using the word "stuck" to describe us. I ain't stuck anymore, and I'm probably really the only one who was for a while. JB sounded like he was stuck for a minute, but I guess moving to the Poconos or whatever is making him feel unstuck. People who are stuck are people with no resources; everybody we know has them, even Hey-Dawg. He's my barometer of success.

    4. That down-on-Disney book sounds AWESOME. I wanna read it. For your purposes, I am impressed that you're choosing to go out of No Fun April on such a no-fun bang. (Although I really do think it would be fun to read, secretly.)

    5. How come you never blog about that unbelievably cool book in your bathroom that explains how everything in the world happens, like cardboard getting made, bills being passed, plays being written and rubber balls bouncing off the floor? Are you saving that for Fun Fun May?

    6. Sorry cuz you'll probably want a real weekend this weekend, considering that you're allowed to drink again and all, but I'm trying to rally the forces to "Back to the Future," midnight at the Ritz.

    7. I am going to be your neighbor at the end of June. (Shh...it's a "blog secret.")

    8. Come this Saturday morning to work and have bloody marys with me and Heather. We did it this week while we worked and it was a dream. It made me miss the brunches you and I used to throw. If only we had known then what we know about now: cakon.

    9. Sorry for the comment that's like 3 times longer than your post--I swore I wouldn't blog tonight (haven't slept) because I have to get these papers done, and this is my way of cheating.

    (Oh man how lame. Did I just co-opt Amanda Blank and make her totally boring--"I ain't tryin' to have no babies; I gotta get these papers wrote"?

    10. My blog dies this coming Friday and comes back to life (a little bit 'all grown up') as www.keepinghappening.tumblr.com. Watch for the epic goodbye post in the next couple of days. Yikes, I just fried my monitor with my tears.

    PS- can you change your settings so the capcha is there while you're writing a comment? Reading Sue's and Sarah's on their blogs has been the highlight of my week, and I just got a funny one trying to post here and had to close it to blog about it: APHESES. Which I think must be some kind of disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy:
    as in, "I caught Apheses from Conrad"?
    PLATI (boring)

    ReplyDelete