Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Retail Lessons

4/6/09: The first part of my day was no fun. The goal was to fix my bike tire but it got pretty involved, including going to a bunch of houses that I should be fixing looking for my toolbox, that my brother takes to job sites to make my life less fun[aside: as an economist I know that keeping my toolbox organized and functional makes it more stealable, but as a brother I find it super frustrating not to have the power to grant myself dibs on things, end aside], finding out that the bike store near my house is closed, just on Mondays, then going to that corporate bike shop on Columbus where I must be their coolest customer because they always stop what they are doing and look up and give me a secret bike nod that I don't know but I guess I fake it pretty well. It's funny that I get spit on for not being hardcore enough at a grungy bike store but then its the other extreme there. I would like some middle ground.

I forgot about blood drive today. I get another chance in a few.

I think I'm over the withdrawal phase and into the "oh no, now my life is just boring with nothing to even talk about" phase. The worst part about not doing any thing fun/self-destructive isn't the abstaining per se, but the fact that no one wants to hang out with a holier than thou ascetic. How sad is it to be in Trader Joe's, have someone invite you to eat dinner at their house, and then not be able to convince them that there is anything in the whole store that is both worth eating and fits into your diet? Answer: Sad. No quite as sad as Sharon Sossamon never making the A list and us not getting to see her face in movies more but sadder than when a huge big box store runs out of stock in the one thing you want. (Lately, no rack at Ikea for wine glasses, and no dvd players of any kind at walmart. What's the point of having a gigantic store anyway?) Oh, before I get lost in a rant I need to remind the world that Trader Joe's is basically heaven for lonely single people. There are one million babes of all varieties and people look very attractive trying to figure out what kind of mango chutney to buy, for some reason its very flattering. I hadn't been in a while and I think it might be my new place to chicken out asking girls out.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait til I get my act together and write a big expose on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. SHANNYN Sossamon.

    2. Why do straight-edge tourists need to buy wine glasses?

    3. Best Buy, best DVD player in the world (the one Susie has), 40 bucks.

    4. Sometimes I get weirdly approving bike nods too. That makes even less sense than when it happens to you.

    5. Since I'm not legally allowed to donate my gay blood, will you please go to a no-fun EXTREME and donate some in my place when you're done donating yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that real? People don't want gay blood running through their veins? What about vampires? Do vampires get all gay if they suck gay blood?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's real, they made it happen when we all had AIDS. But they never got the memo that the high-five is s0 passe.

    ReplyDelete