Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How to make friends and influence people, only in reverse order and not really because i dont know about those things

4/21/09: Steve Miller saved me money today. I got bored at work and I went to go buy some sneakers I saw in his shop last week when I was trying to sneak back into his life. Also I probably want fresh kicks to impresses girls/the girl. But apparently he is a successful businessman and he had sold them all. Thanks SM.

I took this book out of the library (sometimes when I take out 5 dvds and 5 cds I get a little bit embarrassed so I browse the shelves so I can take out a book too) called the laws of power. I thought it was going to be about how societies structure their decision making apparatus and how the idea of power has evolved over time with the rise of marketing, information networks, etc. Instead, its just a bunch of business speak with chapters like "Conceal your intentions", "Learn to keep people dependant on you" or "Never appear too perfect." It almost hard to not take it as a joke, except its like 400 pages. I can imagine someone reading it and taking it at face value and I find the idea of working on your ability to be powerful so funny. As if it were a goal in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRIvG7nZDOw&feature=related

More songs with no videos. For only liking the most famous rap songs ever, I am pretty good at finding these.

I got suckered into going to 700 tonight for some Joey Sweeny thing. It was the worst obviously, he just played jazz records and then this terrible guy played sloppy songs that i think were supposed to be funny but I couldn't hear the words because he was screaming them and just kept yelling obscene words. But I wanted to comment on seeing that one of the bartenders who I recognize because he is a NoLibs O.G. was there even though he wasn't working. It might be different for bars, because maybe you drink for free, but this is something that needs to be talked about because I found myself once or twice doing this, as if Rustica was a place to hang out, or pre-game, or meet up before going somewhere else and its just so lame. Maybe its because I've been rewatching episodes of the office but I've been thinking alot about work as a social outlet lately. I don't know what I want to replace it but I don't like it as a one and only place. Certainly not the church, or a social club like mensa, or a charity, or a country club, and not a "third place" like a starbucks either. So what then? Magic cards, sports, book club, art collectives all seem ok. House parties are obviously ideal, but if they were a regular hang out thing then they would quickly lose their ability to draw in different groups of people and would evolve into a "regulars" kind of thing. I guess this is why grown ups tend to go for big events whether they be weddings, or family reunions, or conferences of all sorts. Life just doesn't have good built in ways to hang out with new friend prospects . Everyone in my life is lamenting about this recently, that we don't meet people as fast as we used to. Andy says that's just because we know everybody already. Maybe he has a point. But maybe its something that I can get better at. Maybe someone should write a book about that.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, art collectives? Really, Conrad? Because you can really get behind it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm teaching Machiavelli right now, and that book you got from the library is like him. Sort of: I try to teach him like an actual smart person, but the students all read him like Donald Trump. I say things like "non-essentialism", "antihumanist politics of liberation", "infintesimal vectors of forces", etc., but all they hear is "DOLLA DOLLA BILLZ".
    You should come to my class- 1) meet new people and 2) learn something (not "$" but the other ones) (I know you like to know stuff). Then you can skip the book too.
    Isn't that the perfect solution?

    ReplyDelete